Volunteers are needed to assist in a variety of ways. Please check the list below to determine needs. Qualifications include being compassionate, trustworthy, and patient. Training and support are provided to all volunteers.
Refugees arrive with very little to call their own. They left their native country out of fear of persecution; with a desire to rebuild a new life. By volunteering, you can empower another to become self-sufficient and make a big difference in the life of a refugee.
|Barriers to Self-Sufficiency:||
How you can help?
Little or No Job Skills
|Getting Lost||Bus Guide|
- Be an American friend to a newly arrived family to help them adjust
- Help a refugee family shop for clothes, household goods, and school supplies
- Help with a job search by coaching refugees in employment search skills, basic computer skills, and completing an application and resume
- Plan recreational events with families
- Show families the Rochester community
- Drive refugees to appointments, job interviews, ESL classes, etc.
- Teach refugees how to use public transportation
- Assist children with homework
- Assist adults in learning English
- Help refugees learn basic computer skills
Assist with donations
- Organize donations into welcome kits for each family
- Help move donations from storage into apartments
- Conduct a household goods drive through your work, church, or civic organization
- Help with filing, copying, data entry
- Assist with writing and distributing volunteer newsletter
- Organize monthly volunteer ‘dessert meetings’
- Organize groups to create welcome kits for refugee children
- Assist in planning and promoting community events to recognize and support refugees
- Participate in community events in a variety of ways
Do you have questions or want to help?
Please contact the Rochester office of Winona Diocese Catholic Charities
For more information regarding volunteer program or to sign up for volunteering, please contact Mary Alessio, Director at (507) 287-2047.
For I was a stranger and you welcomed me. –Matthew 25:35